I bet many of us would have never anticipated what 2020 has brought out…
What I am grateful for is its helped SO many people begin to question what their health is worth! Something many of us do not realize, until we as an individual or a loved one gets sick. Whether minor or serious.
Our health truly is the BEST investment we will ever make!
Why? Because it snowballs into ALL areas of our life.
Think of how you feel (emotionally/mentally) when you or your loved ones are sick? Not too great…
Our health is an investment, not an expense.
I am a firm believer in this and thoroughly enjoy learning and educating of WHY we should embrace empowered holistic health care within our own homes and as a part of our monthly budgets.
Some tips that I have personally found helpful for my mental and physical health…
- Ingredients matter – just because a product is sold on the shelves in our stores this doesn’t mean its safe for use. Yes, you may need to read that again. I opt for organic when I can, prefer buying from our local butcher and farmers and avoid anything with “fragrance”. I also choose Non-GMO Gluten free. A shift that was much easier than I had ever thought it would be.
- Nature knows – honestly, so grateful I leaned into the urge to explore a holistic approach to health. I am thankful I didn’t pick up that bottle of Oregano at the Pharmacy 😂! We use a combination of high quality essential oils, vitamins, minerals, probiotics etc when needed, in addition with our daily. Our body chemistry is unique, albeit similar to a plant. Plant based health care is easier for our body to recognize, its also incredibly effective.
- Supplement my health daily – taking high quality vitamins, minerals and omega’s daily, are key! Hint… the grocery store is not the place to buy these things. Do your research into the products you use, check their websites, look for the research, testing etc. Every body is different in their supplemental needs. Since I have been doing this my health has enjoyed a beautiful boost!
- Drink the water – this is huge! Not only does it help flush our system it helps with proper elimination when flushing our system. I have personally in the past month begun drinking 2 full 20oz water bottles as soon as I get up, before I leave the house each morning for work. This has made a significant shift in my digestive system.
- Breathe the fresh air – getting outside and breathing in the fresh air is so good for our physical and mental health. Daily deep breathing can be life changing, even for a few minutes. I am an avid meditator, I find it calming, refreshing, mind opening. It’s a skill, I feel I am continually honing in on.
- Love my space – even though we have been in reno mode for years, every single day I love our home even more. As we are approaching another significant completion, I can see our vision coming together even more. One that was once a dream, has become an amazing reality! Declutter and organize. Everything has a place.
- Listen to my body – whether its what I, drink, wash, wear, who I am around or interact with, how I feel. This all matters in a very big way! The more I do, the healthier choices I make, the quicker I can identify feeling off. Our body is actually a wonderful communicator, if we allow it to talk to us! It’s an everyday, lifelong learning that I have embraced.
This week I was feeling more off. I was finding it challenging to figure out what was triggering this. Until I realized…
I looked up in my FODMAP app and sure enough, what I suspected, was most likely the culprit. Honey.
Although natural, honey can be challenging to the digestive system in large amounts. I can, thankfully, enjoy very small portion sizes.
Being conscious of how I’ve been feeling, when I ordered pizza for dinner tonight, I opted to listen to my body. Although I am lucky to have a great tasting gluten free pizza option available in town, my body is also sensitive to lactose (cheese) and higher sodium.
Yup, when I decided to clean up my health, my body is happy to remind me that she truly ENJOYS and THRIVES living a healthier lifestyle! Not with any of the old habits!!!
There was once a day, many years ago, when I felt like by me “having to give up my favourite foods”, wasn’t fair or that my health was actually a burden if I wasnt able to “eat normal”. I resisted making the shift. Who decides what “normal” is?! Just because famous people drink or eat something, hang on let me back that up. Just because “famous” people endorse something, does not mean anything! I am realizing more and more each day how little I care about “famous” people and their opinions.
I continue to shift daily, some small baby steps and others large leaps! True health is a lifestyle, unique to each of us! 🥰 True health is honoring my body in HOW I FEEL! Me, and only me. Just like how everyone should base their health.
Tonight as I ordered the pizza for my family, I remembered the photo my aunt sent me the other night, of her home made pizza created on a gluten free wrap… bingo! I had naturals ham, lactose free cheese, veggies, sauce… let me tell you! Yup I had to make it, I got to make it exactly how I love it and… It was delicious!!!
What maybe at one time looked like I had to “give something up”, I was in truth making the choice and shift in life, that my body and health thrives with! 🙌
What is my health worth?!
I am worth feeling good!!! I am worth the investment of healthy foods, drinks and products as a part of my everyday and to be a positive role model to the kids in my life.
One thought on “What Is My Health Worth?”