In this journey of making our house, our home we’ve learned a few key things in life!
Life lessons certainly are the best!
- Growth! Challenges make you grow even when you don’t think you have anymore in you.
- 2nd Chance. Sometimes a 2nd chance means you can get it exactly right as it should have been originally. Everything happens for a reason, although at times its difficult to understand why.
- Embrace your space. No matter the size you are living in. Make it yours and enjoy it. I admittedly, miss hearing the kids night time secret sharing and giggles – even the pestering back and forth ending in laughs when they were both sleeping in the living room all summer. Of course we love having our space back so everyone can have some alone time when needed – this is also crucial in my own opinion and experience for a healthy and happy life. However how much space does one or 4 people truly need?
- Animals do not like change. I can relate with the animals – I appreciate the before, love the after and feel my anxiety spike during. Our cat and bird unfortunately had a very negative experience after the newly finished basement was flooded and construction was underway to rebuild while under construction upstairs as well. Be sympathetic to them, ensure you provide adequate attention which also provides them with comfort.
- Communication is EVERYTHING! Going through the motions of life and renovating can prove daunting when you are also living in the same space. Finishing the basement this time was a big open space and proved to be easier, however required adjustments to our “normal life” such as not having a living room – at all and a partial kitchen and sometimes a dining room. Communicating as adults, as parents to our children – is SOOO key! Key for staying on track and staying sane!
- What really matters! Time together. Thats what really matters. Being forced into a much smaller space really clarifies that. The kids lost a lot of “stuff”… It had value, monetary and sentimental – however its just “stuff” and in the big picture isn’t what is most important!
- Declutter and get organized. Its ok to let go! If a physical possession does not give you a good feeling or you absolutely love – donate or sell. Only have things in your home that absolutely light you up and has a purpose! Clear surfaces and organization make my heart SO happy!
- Be YOU and do not worry about what others may think or say. This has been a mantra Ive been ingraining in my head. Our lifestyle is outside of the “norm” but we love it and are healthier because of it. I am so thankful we have embraced living a more holistic lifestyle! These oils got me through a lot of dark emotional times.
- Always follow your heart. If you are making a decision and it feels heavy – it’s not the right decision. Something is holding you back and you maybe need to re-evaluate.
- Always reach for your dreams and goals – no matter what!
I truly am thankful we are nearing the end of our whole home renovation – its been an incredible growth experience for all of us. To not only figure out HOW we want to live but also with WHAT we want to live with and having zero judgment for something that no longer serves us or our life purpose.