Lets talk PCOS and Essential Oils!!!
Ive had quite a few people asking what I have used to naturally support my body with PCOS. One thing to remember is that everyone’s body is different, what works for one person may not exactly work for the next. I truly love sharing with others how I have been able to naturally support my body and boost my immune system.
For those who may not know about PCOS – Polcystic Ovarian Syndrome. I have been living with it, since diagnosis in 2005.
What is PCOS?
Polycystic ovary syndrome (say “pah-lee-SIS-tik OH-vuh-ree SIN-drohm”) is a problem in which a woman’s hormones are out of balance. It can cause problems with your periods and make it difficult to get pregnant. PCOS also may cause unwanted changes in the way you look. If it isn’t treated, over time it can lead to serious health problems, such as diabetes and heart disease.
Most women with PCOS grow many small cysts on their ovaries. That is why it is called polycystic ovary syndrome. The cysts are not harmful but lead to hormone imbalances.
For reasons that are not well understood, in PCOS the hormones get out of balance. One hormone change triggers another, which changes another. For example:
- The sexhormones get out of balance. Normally, the ovaries make a tiny amount of male sex hormones (androgens). In PCOS, they start making slightly more androgens. This may cause you to stopovulating, get acne, and grow extra facial and body hair.
- The body may have a problem using insulin, called insulin resistance. When the body doesn’t use insulinwell, blood sugar levels go up. Over time, this increases your chance of getting diabetes.
The cause of PCOS is not fully understood, but genetics may be a factor. PCOS seems to run in families, so your chance of having it is higher if other women in your family have it or have irregular periods or diabetes. PCOS can be passed down from either your mother’s or father’s side.
Symptoms tend to be mild at first. You may have only a few symptoms or a lot of them. The most common symptoms are:
- Weightgain and trouble losing weight.
- Extra hairon the face and body. Often women get thicker and darker facial hair and more hair on the chest, belly, and back.
- Thinning hair on the scalp.
- Irregular periods. Often women with PCOS have fewer than nine periods a year. Some women have no periods. Others have very heavy bleeding.
- Fertility problems. Many women who have PCOS have troublegetting pregnant(infertility).
So … here is what Ive found successful for me and my body!
When I began using the oils back in June 2014, I slowly began introducing them to my everyday life with the discomforts I was experiencing that comes along with PCOS. I was taking over the counter meds almost daily to deal with these discomforts and I knew this was not a long term solution that I wanted for my health and body!
Prior to using the oils and getting onto the Lifelong Vitality Supplements I found I was extremely sensitive to sugar, natural or artificial. Even if I had a very small bite of a sweet I felt like I had a sugar overload. I was also extremely exhausted and in pain all. the. time. My body was completely out of balance. I went for test after test, knowing “something” was wrong and came home incredibly frustrated every time the doctor said “its in the normal range”… Don’t get me wrong I am pro health care in the medical profession – when absolutely necessary! For me, however it just was not working. I tried a variety of drugs to help balance out my cycle and hormones. In all cases my body did what it wanted to and I ended up in even more pain and discomfort.
Oils recommended for Women’s Reproductive Health are:
- Clary Sage
- Used in Aromatherapy as a nervine and calmative, carminative and antispasmodic for symptomatic relief of digestive discomforts
- Used in Aromatherapy to relive minor skin irritation, cuts, bruises, burns.
- Apply in Aromatherapy to help relieve joint and muscle pain associated with sprains, strains and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Beautifying to the skin
- Place a drop in your hands, rub your hands together and breathe slowly for a grounding effect.
- Relief for joint and muscle pain.
- Has cleansing effects when applied topically to the skin.
- Ylang Ylang
- Ylang ylang has a very calming aroma.
- Clary Calm
- Supportive to a woman’s body during monthly cycles.
- Provide a cooling effect to the skin.
- Grounding aroma.
- Support for balancing the emotions .
Oils that can help uplift sad feelings, feeling unmotivated or anxious are:
- Wild Orange
- Used in Aromatherapy as a nervine and calmative.
- Naturally cleanse and scent the air.
- Use in a DIY Cleaner with water and vinegar.
- Used in Aromatherapy as a carminative and antispasmodic for symptomatic relief of digestive comfort.
- Cleansing to the skin and body.
- Powerfully cleansing in a DIY cleaner.
- Diffuse for an uplifting aroma and cleansing to the home.
- Known as the King Of Oils.
- Supportive to the skin with blemishes.
- Warming effect on the skin with massage.
- Promotes feelings of peace and overall wellness when used aromatically.
- Encouraging Blend – Motivate
- Promotes feelings of confidence and courage.
- Counteracts negative emotions of doubt, pessimism and cynicism
- Uplifting Blend – Cheer
- Promotes feelings of optimism, cheerfulness and happiness.
- Counteracts negative emotions of feeling down, blue or low.
- Focus Blend – In Tune
- Enhances and sustains a sense of focus.
- A very grounding and calming blend assists with staying on task.
- Comforting Blend – Console
- Promotes feelings of comfort and hope.
- Counteracts negative emotions of grief, sadness and hopelessness.
- Calming and relaxing properties promoting rest and ease of tension.
- Used in aromatherapy as a nervine and calmative.
- Relief of digestive discomfort
- Symptomatic relief of acne and boils, minor skin irritations, cuts, burns.
- Used in aromatherapy to help relieve headaches.
- Used in aromatherapy to help relieve digestive discomfort, acne, boils, eczema and dermatitis.
- Relief of minor skin irritations, cuts, bruises, burns.
- Excellent for massage.
- Calming and uplifting abilities assisting with anxious feelings.
- Joyful Blend – Elevation
- Elevates mood and increases vitality.
- Energizing and refreshing aroma.
- Promotes a revitalizing environment.
- Grounding Blend – Balance
- Promotes a whole body sense of relaxation.
- May help ease anxious feelings.
- Evokes feelings of tranquility and balance.
- Invigorating Blend – Citrus Bliss
- Cleanses and purifies the air.
- Helps reduce stress and uplifts mood.
- Positively affects mood with energizing and refreshing properties.
and even more!
So I began diffusing every single night, experimenting with different oils and blends tweeking it to just what was right for me. What I found was my body was able to reach a new level of comfort and relaxation. I was waking up feeling rested! I began wearing the oils daily, for a while Elevation was my absolute favourite. That tight feeling in my chest began to slowly release. Wild Orange is another favourite during the day or at night to ease any anxious feelings.
I began transitioning out products within our homes which contain toxins which can be hormone (endocrine) disruptors to our bodies. In our homes some of these most common disruptors are chemicals – think of just how many chemicals there are in your home – you will be surprised. Obviously we cannot avoid every single chemical in everyday life, however if we begin at home we can set a new base of health and wellness for ourselves which in turn will strengthen our immune systems. I can speak from experience because this is exactly what my family did.
We now make our own foam soap and cleaning spray. We use an all natural laundry detergent, tooth paste, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, facial care and supplements. All things we use daily and one, the supplements that I had in the past, difficulty staying in the habit of taking them. I even make my own deodorant!
Two of the oils not mentioned above are Zendocrine and Smart and Sassy (Slim and Sassy in the US), being brand new to oils and had never done a cleanse before I wanted to ease myself in. So this is why I chose to give Zendocrine oil a try. I applied it topically to the bottom of my feet and also drank it – it does not taste good at all! I also used the Smart and Sassy (Slim and Sassy in the US) oil in my water everyday. With these two oils I really began to notice a change with an increased feeling of energy as toxins were being flushed out of my system.
I also used the Deep Blue Rub to help soothe any tension in muscles. Quite helpful when layered on top of Clary Sage (rubbed over my ovaries).
One of the most significant difference in my life was committing to give our Lifelong Vitality Supplements a true effort for 1 month. I did it! I began at 1/2 dose to ease myself in. The taste didn’t bother me, I wasn’t having any ill feeling effects after taking them and I began to notice I was doing more at home. This for me was HUGE! For a very long time, I was simply unmotivated and completely uninspired. Upon discovering that I had not one but two invisible illnesses (PCOS and Hypothyroidism) was quite devasting to my 23 year old self. Especially when these were literally hardly ever talked about and little research to go on so it was a lot of “lets try this”, “ok now try this”. After so many years of being in pain almost daily, unhappy, feeling completely defeated and ashamed of myself, I am finally me again.
In combination of using the oils within our home, on my body and aromatically along side the Lifelong Vitality Supplements I have been given my life back. These oils do not cure, no they do something better than that. They support the body’s natural processes. These oils come from plants, they have similar chemical make up recognizable to our bodies. The oils do not build up or have any side effects, simply side benefits. The therapeutic benefits alone are outstanding!
If you are someone who is struggling with PCOS, Im here to tell you – its going to be ok! I am a woman who is passionate about how great I now feel and am sharing it with others all over the world! There is a better way – its listening to your body and removing unnecessary toxins! Its amazing how wonderful it feels to be empowered in my own home, to have followed my own intuition knowing there was something natural that my body was in need of, I just had to find it.
Today, there is no looking back! Of course there will always be hiccups down the road, or various stressors which may affect my sleep, the odd meal that is not the healthiest… but thats ok! Really it is OK! My body is finally in a healthier state where these issues are not nearly as devastating to my body as they used to be!
Making this significant change in your life can feel daunting, however looking back its quite honestly hard to believe its already been 2+ years, although on the other hand I wish I had found this sooner! The commitment I had to make myself was sticking with it 100%. My body had a lot of adjusting to do. It was 100% worth it as I am much more in tune with my body, my emotions and my life.
There truly is an oil for everything!