doTERRA has their top 10 oils in a couple convenient starter kits as a great base for getting started with Essential Oils in your home and on the go!
These 10 oils provide a great base to get started transforming your life naturally with the use of these essential oils for our moods, first aid, cleaning and so much more! Give the gift of health and wellness to yourself and your loved ones!
100 Uses for our Ten Most Popular Oils and Blends
These are just SOME of the way you can use these amazing little bottles of goodness for yourself and in your home!! For more information or to learn how to get one of these kits for yourself there are a couple ways to contact me! Click on the Contact Me page at the top 🙂
Lemon Essential Oil Ideas
1. Soothe an irritated throat, layer Frankincense and Lemon over the throat area or take a drop of Lemon in a small amount of raw honey (not suitable for children under 1).
2. Diffuse lemon to neutralize odours. Got a house full of stinky sports players? Lemon is your friend. You can also use a few drops on cotton balls and place in your fridge, in shoes, wherever you want to get rid of nasty smells.
3. Lemon, like all citrus oils, is very uplifting and also promotes positive mood and cognitive ability, a great one to diffuse at your desk. You could also add a drop or two of peppermint to keep you alert.
4. Flavour boost, our oils are beyond food grade. You could add a drop of Lemon essential oil anytime you are cooking with lemon juice (Salmon on the BBQ, Lemon meringue pie, Hummus, Avo Smash, Lemon zest etc) to give it a deeper, more rich flavour. You could also add a drop or two to tea or a smoothie. Lemon naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion, you could also use a drop in water and it won’t strip the enamel off your teeth!
5. Add a couple drops of Lemon essential oil to your dishwater or to the rinse section of your dishwasher. Lemon is amazing at cutting through grease and grime and will leave your glassware sparkling.
6. Make an All Purpose Cleaning Spray. In a glass bottle with a spray trigger add a quarter cup of Vinegar and 30 drops of your choice of essential oils, any Citrus oil like Lemon will make a great cleaner, you could also add a squirt of the cleaner concentrate, shake, spray and wipe. Clove oil is a great mould killer!
7. Remove sticky labels with lemon essential oil! Simply add a few drops of the oil to the label, wait a minute or so and it will peel right off.
8. Make your own natural wood polish using olive oil and Lemon or Wild Orange essential oil.
9. Lemon promotes a healthy respiratory function Try diffusing two drops Lemon, two drops Peppermint and two drops Lavender for a great seasonal relief blend.
10. Use lemon essential oil in a spray bottle with water to keep fruit fresh until serving. It will also add a nice zesty flavour!
Peppermint Essential Oil Ideas
1. First things first, add to anything you bake with chocolate: brownies, chocolate, cake, hot chocolate!
2. Get rid of stinky breath, take a drop of Peppermint essential oil in water and swish around your mouth and spit, if you are on the road you can also literally just put a drop in your mouth and move it around with your tongue, it is FIERCE.
3. Peppermint makes a fantastic respiratory and sinus support. You could take a drop on your thumb, put it on the roof of your mouth and inhale deeply, diffuse or even just smell it straight from the bottle.
4. Peppermint is a fantastic oil to cool you down. In summer when it’s super humid and disgusting here in Queensland I love making a spray bottle with water and a few drops of peppermint oil and spraying my face (eyes closed), back of my neck, hair, arms, legs and especially my feet.
5. Foot soak time!!! A few drops of peppermint essential oil and some Epsom salts in a little foot bath, BLISS!!!
6. Diffuse Peppermint and Wild Orange to keep you alert and focused on the task at hand.
7. Try making this Whipped Peppermint Foot Lotion
What You Need:
1 teaspoon beeswax
2 tablespoons cocoa butter
4 tablespoons shea butter
1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoons Fractionated Coconut Oil
5 drops Peppermint essential oil
5 drops Melaleuca essential oil
a. In a small glass container, combine all ingredients except essential oils. Place in saucepan with 1-1.5 inches of boiling water.
b. Stir ingredients until combined (around 5-10 minutes). Note: Use a popsicle stick for easy cleanup.
c. Once melted, remove from heat and let rest for 3 minutes.
d. Add essential oils and stir.
e. Let mixture come to a solid. To quicken the process, place in refrigerator.
f. Once solid, use an electric mixer to whip the lotion. Gradually come to high speed and whip for 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
g. Place into container. To use, rub on heels to help soften and soothe them. For the best results, add a generous amount to feet with socks before you go to sleep.
8. Ease tension. Apply lavender and peppermint diluted to neck and forehead to ease the pressure.
9. Try making your own toothpaste! Use equal parts of bicarb soda and Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, add ten drops of peppermint, stir and store in a glass jar, minty fresh and no nasty chemicals.
10. Tummy Calmer, take a drop of peppermint oil and dilute with fractionated coconut oil and rub clockwise on your tummy.
Respiratory Blend Ideas – Breathe / Easy Air
(Blend of Laurel, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Lemon, Cardamom and more)
1. Support seasonal respiratory discomfort and sleep easy. Use a few drops in the diffuser by the bed.
2. Make a chest, foot and back rub to support the respiratory system. Use between 1-5 drops of the blend to 10ml carrier depending on age. Keep in a roller bottle for easy application.
3. Put a drop of this blend and a drop of Wintergreen in a sink full of hot water with a towel over your head, breathe deeply.
4. Make up a nasal inhaler or take with you on cotton balls or even just breathe in straight from the bottle!
5. Experiencing anxious feelings or claustrophobic? Or like there’s no air? Use this blend, it will literally help you breathe!!
6. Diffusing is great, but when you don’t have a diffuser handy, simply add a drop of both this blend and Frankincense into the palm of your hand. Then, make a fist with a small opening over the oils and breathe in through your fist. This simple technique does wonders!
7. Boost your brain power!! The Respiratory Blend contains Eucalyptus essential oil which is known to help stimulate mental activity and wake up your mind. The powerfully beneficial oils of Peppermint, Lemon, and Melaleuca are all included and are perfect if you are feeling under the weather.
8. Place a few drops on a pillow for those that don’t want the oil applied to them (I’m thinking whimpering child or skeptical other half!).
9. Make a tight, dank space more breathable and light by diffusing this blend.
10. Apply to your chest, back and legs before exercising to help invigorate your lungs!
Protective Blend Ideas – On Guard
(a blend of Orange, Clove, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus and Rosemary)
1. Diffuse anytime you are concerned about what’s going around, I like to add a drop or two of Oregano and Black Pepper for extra support. Apply diluted in carrier oil to the soles of the feet and down the spine for extra immune support.
2. Add 15 drops to a cup of corn starch or baking soda. Mix, sprinkle and rake on carpet then allow it to sit for up to an hour. Then, vacuum it clean!
3. Take in capsules with olive oil or in capsule form before, during and after a plane trip to support your Immune System and ward off Environmental threats! I take with food and fat and filtered water.
4. Diffusing can work miracles, but you can also put a few drops on your car or home’s air conditioning vents to obliterate dank, stale filtered air…right from the duct!
5. Clean your bath tub!! Mix 5-6 drops with a half cup of baking soda to clean your bath tub and skip all of the harsh, bleaching chemicals.
6. Fantastic blend for dental health (it contains Clove after all!) Try swishing with a bit of water after dental work. You can also apply directly to your teeth and gums with some Coconut Oil (or add a drop to your toothpaste) to soothe irritated gums. For a clean toothbrush, store it overnight in a small glass of water with 3-5 drops. You could also try oil pulling with a tablespoon of Virgin Coconut oil and a drop or two of this blend.
7. Make your own SAFE Hand Sanitizer without carcinogenic Triclosan. Mix 5 Tablespoons aloe vera gel, 4 Tablespoons water, 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin E oil and 8-10 drops Protective Blend in a small squeeze bottle.
8. Clean your Oven! Caked on black oven gunk does not easily come off. Make a mix of bicarb, water, Protective Blend and Lemon essential oil and apply, then scrub off. All done and no nasty chemicals.
9. Make your own Foaming Hand Soap.
Making your own foaming hand soap is incredibly easy to make. You probably already have all the ingredients, too! You can use any empty foaming hand soap bottle you have laying around the house. Mix and match your favorite essential oils to create your own custom soap. The options are endless!
What You Need:
2 tablespoons liquid castile soap (unscented)
10-12 drops essential oils of choice
Pour castile soap and Fractionated Coconut Oil into bottle.
Add essential oils.
Slowly add water into bottle making sure to leave room for the foaming pump.
Add lid, shake, and you are good to go!
When ready to use, just pump 1-2 times into hands and wash with warm water.
10. Soak cut apples in filtered water with a drop or two of the Protective Blend for an Immune Boosting snack.
Lavender Essential Oil Ideas
1. Make some playdough for the kids, try purple and add some Lavender, Orange and some Wild Orange, Green or Blue with some Balance, they will get the calming effects of the oils while they play!
2. Diffuse with a few drops of Vetiver and Marjoram to help with the transition to the land of deep sleep. Another great sleep diffuser blend is Lavender and Wild Orange or Lavender with Wild Orange and Cedarwood!
3. Give the kids a lavender foot massage in carrier oil to calm them down in the evening, pop a drop or two on their pillows.
4. Calm down after a tense day, add a cup of Epsom salts to the bath with a few drops of Lavender.
5. After a long day on your feet rub Lavender and Lemongrass diluted on your feet and legs. It will help soothe sore muscles and fully rest.
6. Soothe a sore babies bum, mix lavender and geranium in coconut oil and use at change time. You can also make your own chemical free baby wipes with cloth wipes or paper roll, coconut oil, essential oils (just a drop of each) and water.
7. The next time someone doesn’t realize the iron or pan is still hot; apply Lavender oil to the affected area to soothe skin irritation, relieve redness and ease swelling. Also works great for soothing irritated bites!
8. Homemade Aftershave. Use after shaving to soothe and soften skin and to lessen the redness and burning caused by razor burn.
9. Take The “Ouch” Out. One drop of Lavender will help relieve the pain and sensitivity of occasional sore gums, dry or chapped lips, occasional scrapes and abrasions, or after too much sun.
10. Clear The Mind and Soothe Emotions. Apply Lavender to the temples and back of neck to lessen the effects of stress and anxious feeling and to promote mental clarity.
Oregano Essential Oil Ideas
Firstly I just want to say BE CAREFUL, Oregano is a very hot/caustic oil, always heavily dilute for topical use and stay away from sensitive parts.
1. Concerned about the sanitary conditions of a public place you or the kids have just walked on with bare feet? Your feet absorb more than you think. Follow up by applying one drop of Oregano and Thyme, diluted with Fractionated Coconut Oil. Happy feet.
2. Apply to warts, surround the area with Fractionated Coconut Oil and apply a drop of Oregano Oil every day for at least a week.
3. Bring the flavour of Italy into your cooking, add a drop to your big batch of Bolognese on the stove (a drop of Basil and Rosemary are also divine additions and bring so much flavour!!) Put a drop of Oregano and a drop of Basil in your veggie dip! Or, mix them both with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for a savory bread dip. So yummy.
4. Support the immune system with the power of Oregano. Layer on Guard and Oregano on the soles of the feet with Fractionated Coconut Oil and/or Diffuse with the On Guard Protective blend.
5. Oregano is also a fantastic respiratory support. Diffuse a few drops with Easy Air/Breathe at night. Apply diluted down your spine.
6. Digestive Dilemmas Abated. Oregano is a key ingredient in dōTERRA’s GX Assist, for good reason! It helps create a peaceful environment that is unfriendly to ‘the unmentionables’ that tax our digestive systems.
7. Chilly in Winter? Dilute just 1 drop in a decent amount of fractionated coconut oil and massage quickly into hands and feet to help warm the body.
8. Clean and Purify surfaces with Oregano oil, you could add a few drops to Your All Purpose Cleaning Spray!
9. Target The Source of Unsightly Skin Woes. Anyone’s skin can have imperfections, bumps or feel irritated. Use sparingly! Oregano is potent. Dilute 1 drop to 2ml carrier oil for adults.
10. Oregano is one of the amazing and potent oils in the On Guard + Softgels. Take when you need extra immune support. I take with food and fat.
Digestive Blend Ideas – Digest Zen / Zen Gest
(Ginger, Peppermint, Caraway, Coriander, Anise, Tarragon, Fennel)
1. Tame a tummy. I like to have a roller on hand at all times. Dilute appropriately and give yourself, child or bub a gentle clockwise massage. So fast acting.
2. I like to take a drop in water half an hour before meals to enhance digestion!
3. Get those anxious knots in your stomach? Whip out your Digestzen.
4. Eaten something that hasn’t agreed with you all that well.. you guessed it.. Digestzen roller.
5. Feeling quesy on a trip? Try inhaling Digestzen to calm your stomach and applying it to your wrists.
6. Over indulged?? Apply Digestzen to your stomach to help ease discomfort.
7. Digestzen is great for calming an upset stomach but it’s also great for reliving head tension and sinus pressure! Dilute and apply to temples and bridge of nose.
8. Use daily to maintain healthy bowel movements.
9. Digestzen can make a great mouth rinse after a night out. Add a few drops in water and rinse well.
10. Unfamiliar Restaurant Relief. When you travel or venture out to an unfamiliar restaurant, it’s easy to have digestive distress. Prevent discomfort by taking DigestZen in a Veggie Capsule to prevent or lessen the effects of certain foods.
Deep Blue Soothing Blend Ideas
(Wintergreen, Camphor, Peppermint, Blue Tansy, German Chamomile, Helichrysum, Osmanthus, Ylang Ylang)
1. Rub diluted on muscles before and after exercise to reduce discomfort.
2. After long hours on the computer, try rubbing this blend diluted on the shoulders and neck to recover and ease muscle tension.
3. Always typing on your computer or smart phone? This blend is great for those who spend long hours typing. Just massage into the hands, fingers and wrists when needed. I like layering frankincense underneath for even more relief.
4. Massage Deep Blue diluted in carrier oil onto the growing kids’ legs before bedtime to help with occasional aches associated with growth spurts.
5. Give your other half a massage at the end of the day. This blend is fantastic for soothing tension.
6. This Soothing Blend contains blue tansy and Helichrysum which when used regularly, can help promote long term muscle, joint and bone health. It can also help promote and maintain normal inflammatory response in cells.
7. When the kids come home with a few bumps from their sports activities, apply Deep Blue to affected areas to help support localized blood flow.
8. Occasionally, muscles will cramp if they have been worked hard or are lacking the vitamins they need. For these muscle cramps, try massaging Deep Blue into the area.
9. This blend provides a cooling and warming sensation that cools joints yet warms muscles and soothes occasional joint or bone pain. Keep your runner’s knee in tip top condition with Deep Blue. Application after a long run will help soothe the joint and promote strong, healthy muscles.
10. Take this blend to your next massage and ask your therapist to use it on you (a great way to introduce the oils to them too!).
Frankincense Essential Oil Ideas
1. Calm Down. Inhale with Lavender and Peppermint and apply to neck to help calm stress and relieve tension.
2. Nourish Your Skin. Use a drop of Frankincense with 3 drops of carrier oil or dōTERRA Spa Hand and Body Lotion for beautiful, radiant looking skin. Try the Immortelle for your face. It’s divine.
3. Spread The Love. Frankincense smells wonderful and uplifts the mood. Wear it as a perfume to lift your mood and feelings of alertness.
4. Overworked Hands? Rub Frankincense on your hands after a long day of gardening or working to promote a normal inflammatory response.
5. Time To Focus. Apply 1-2 drops to your temples and the back of your neck to help improve your concentration. It’s also one of the oils in the Intune Focus Blend.
6. Nails Of Steel. Dry weather can take a toll on your nails. Try applying a drop of Frankincense to strengthen weak fingernails.
7. Goodness In A Cup. Dilute a drop of Frankincense in 1 teaspoon of honey or in a small herbal tea and take daily to maintain good health. A Calming Mood Lifter. Frankincense can be applied to the bottoms of feet to relax and calm mood swings minor to major. In fact, it has been used to calm expectant mothers during pregnancy and labor. Diffuse in the room or massage a drop onto the chest or back of the neck.
8. Cellular Vigor. Frankincense is a component of DDR Prime because it promotes healthy cellular proliferation. So, take Frankincense in a Veggie Capsule to support healthy cells in your body!
9. No More Nerves. Use Frankincense to help relieve anxious feelings and create a positive mood! Try combining Frankincense, Peppermint and Wild Orange essential oil in your hand, rub hands together, and inhale deeply. This mix will also help with the most severe need for a three o’ clock pick-me-up! These three are amazing in the diffuser together.
10. Relax And Revitalize. Soak in a warm Frankincense bath to calm the nerves or diffuse Frankincense in the bathroom while you relax in the tub.
11. Frankincense has been used for centuries for challenged skin, skin problems and nearly everything related to skin. It’s wonderful for aging skin too! Apply directly to the skin and dab the excess with a cotton ball.
12. Muscle & Soreness Relief. Use Frankincense with a cold compress after working out or on a hot day to cool down and relax. Or, use with a hot compress to soothe tired muscles or occasional cramps.
Yep I realize that was more than 10 uses, frankincense is just too awesome. I love it! When in doubt use Frank!
Tea Tree / Melaleuca Ideas
1. Say Goodbye To Razor Burn! Apply after shaving to prevent any skin irritation. You can also mix Melaleuca with a bottle of fractionated coconut oil for a great facial moisturizer. Consider also mixing with Lavender or Frankincense for added benefit.
2. Add “Oomph” To Your Lotion. Help soothe your skin by placing 1 drop of Melaleuca essential oil in your moisturizer during your morning and night skin routine. You can also apply to skin blemishes and rashes as part of a daily cleansing program.
3. Refresh Your Wash. Add a couple drops of Melaleuca to laundry detergent (I like using the On Guard Laundry Detergent or Wild Soap Nuts from Green Living Australia) to get rid of any musty smells caused by poor ventilation.
4. Baby Bottom Remedy. Mix with Fractionated Coconut Oil, Lavender, and Frankincense to make a diaper paste for baby’s irritated skin.
5. Spray your mattress with water and tea tree when you change the sheets.
6. Spray your kids’ hats and hair with water, Tea Tree and Rosemary, Pesky bugs DON’T like these oils.
7. Tea tree is great for occasional scrapes and skin irritations, so next time your child falls, whip this one out!
8. Great for nasty feet. Apply directly to the feet and toenails after practice each night and especially if you are also showering, swimming or exercising in public, high traffic areas.
9. Chemical-Free Cleaning. Dilute 8-10 drops with water in a spray bottle to clean around the house. It is great to use in damp places and in the bathroom!
10. Boost Your Immune Function. Diffuse Melaleuca or dilute and rub it on the bottom of your feet. Combine with On Guard for even more immune support.
dōTERRA’s Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® essential oils can be used safely by your family for a variety of wellness applications. However, there are several safety guidelines that you should follow when using essential oils and essential oil products.
1. Be sure to use only 100% pure therapeutic-grade essential oils and follow all label warnings and instructions.
2. If redness or irritation occurs when using essential oils topically, apply a vegetable oil such as fractionated coconut oil or olive oil to the affected area.
3. Essential oils should not be used in the eyes, inside the ear canal, or in open wounds. In the event of accidental contact with the eye, dilute with vegetable oil NOT water.
4. Do NOT consume an essential oil internally unless labeled with a Supplement Facts box with specific dietary supplement use instructions and warnings.
5. Discontinue the use of an essential oil if you experience severe skin, stomach, or respiratory irritation or discomfort.
6. When using on children, apply a very small amount of oil to test skin or other sensitivity. Do not use oil on a child’s hand as they may transfer to their eyes or mouth.
7. Consult your physician before using essential oils if you are pregnant or under a doctor’s care or have other safety questions regarding essential oils.
It is important to remember that therapeutic-grade essential oils are highly-concentrated plant extracts and should be used with reasonable care. Consulting with someone who has experience with essential oils will make your first experience with essential oils more enjoyable and rewarding. As you learn how to use essential oils through personal experience, share your knowledge with others in a safe and responsible way and encourage others to do the same.
*These products have been approved by Health Canada and are not intended to treat, cure, diagnose or prevent any disease. Please seek advice of a health care professional where appropriate, especially if pregnant or breastfeeding.
(Information originally in a team handout for Top 100 Uses of our Top 10 Essential Oils)